Cruising is a storied way of travel, full of unique traditions and experiences you'll never enjoy any other way than on a cruise ship. The World Cruise is one of those time-honored cruising traditions, dating back to the Golden Age of steam ships and a new approach to travel by the most stylish people on both sides of the Atlantic.
The first World Cruise sailed a century ago, pioneered by British luxury line Cunard, who still sets the standard of world cruising. There are still 'world cruises' that actually circumnavigate the globe, setting sail from Southampton (London), Los Angeles or south Florida in the New Year, cruising around the world, and making a triumphant return to your port of embarkation a few months later with a lifetime of memories. (Photo Credit: BestTrip.TV)
That is a traditional World Cruise. But not every world cruise circles the planet. Some explore a hemisphere or a couple of continents, sailing into ports not normally accessible by shorter cruise itineraries.
January departures are not the only choice; some world cruises sail twice a year or from regions where the seasons dictate different timing.
World Cruises often have extended stays in some of the best ports of call: overnights as well as extended periods off-ship for a land extension then a return to the ship so you really feel you have an in-depth travel experience.
You probably imagine all your fellow guests will be quite senior - and they are the likeliest travelers to have the time and money to commit to the most epic of cruise itineraries. But cruise lines are changing with the times to appeal to new generations – and multi-generations – of travelers, and world cruises may have families with children taking a term or more off school to explore the world, as well as younger couples on 'sabbatical' breaks.
So… is a world cruise right for you?
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you have 3 months or more to devote to travel? 90 days is an entry-level commitment to a world cruise. Some are 180 days or more, especially cruises that actually circle the world.
- Do you 'collect' ports, looking for ways to visit cruise destinations in far-flung corners of the world other itineraries don't reach?Cruising around the world is going to take you to oceans and seas and continents shorter cruises simply can't reach.
- Do you love days at sea?Between these off-the-beaten-track ports of call, ships cross bodies of water and that can take days.If what you love about a Caribbean or Mediterranean cruise is that there's another port every day, a world cruise will be a big change of pace.
- Is ship-board life appealing to you? Over that period of time, the ship becomes your home, not an entertaining 'floating hotel'. Strolling on deck, enjoying a sunset from your veranda, or the camaraderie of your fellow guests in the ship's restaurants, bars, lounges and fitness centers, and activities like onboard enrichment programs will be your lifestyle for weeks and months.
If you answered 'yes' to these questions, you might want to consider a world cruise.
What if you answered 'no'?
If you don't have 3 months or want to cruise for so many weeks, you can often book segments of a world cruise on your favorite cruise line that give you the opportunity to see a unique part of the world at sea.
'Grand Voyages', itineraries of less than 3 months but with much of the lavishness and off-the-beaten path ports of full 'World Cruises' are increasingly popular.
Consider the cruise line that would make a dream World Cruise the best experience for you. Small luxury ships, mid-size contemporary ships, British style cruising… the onboard lifestyle you would enjoy for a quarter of a year or more at sea should help you focus on what cruise line would be the best fit for your World Cruise. Smaller ships can also sail into smaller, more boutique ports as well, so if truly unique destinations are important to you, smaller ships will have itineraries to match those cruise travel dreams.
Cruise lines that offer World Cruises or their younger sisters, Grand Voyages, include:
- Holland America Line
- Crystal Cruises
- Azamara Club Cruises
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises,
- Princess Cruises
- Viking Ocean Cruises
- Costa Cruises
Start your Trip!
Copyright BestTrip.TV/Influence Entertainment Group Inc or Rights Holder. All rights reserved. You are welcome to share this material from this page, but it may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
Where do you want to go?
Free 2-Category Suite Upgrade on Regent Luxury Cruises Plus 20% Savings on Europe
Regent Seven Seas Cruises “Upgrade Your Horizon” promotio... more
It′s All Included... The Only Way To Explore Asia.
PLUS ENJOY THE FOLLOWING:Book Now & Save u... more
Experience Autumn Hues & Fall Foliage
In All-Inclusive Luxury NEW YORK CITY TO MONTRÉAL ... morefrom $2,669.00 USD per person (double occupancy)
Special Offer Canadian Residents | All-Inclusive Cruises
Canadian residents are invited to enjoy special savings o... morefrom $3,485.00 USD