The first cruises on Colombia's Magdalena River by a major cruise line are set to debut in 2024, and bookings are now open on itineraries featuring the hottest new exotic river cruise destination.
There's been so much interest in AmaWaterways' new Colombia river cruises that the river cruise line is launching not one, but two, purpose-designed ships for the new river.
Two New Ships - One Fascinating New River to Cruise
Beginning in March and June, 2024 respectively, custom-built AmaMagdalena and AmaMelodia will sail on the river cruise line's new itineraries between Cartagena and Barranquilla along the Magdalena River, giving guests the opportunity to discover Colombia’s vibrant culture, unique traditions and natural beauty.
Specially designed to maximize the picturesque views along the Magdalena River, the intimate AmaMagdalena and AmaMelodia are each home to only about 60 guests. The spacious amenity-filled staterooms are between 237 and 516 sq. ft and all feature AmaWaterways signature twin balcony design, with both a French balcony and an outside balcony. In addition, guests can relax and unwind in the ship’s rejuvenating sun deck pool, enjoy a massage, or work out in the fitness room.
Two Immersive Itineraries – Magic of Colombia and Wanders of Colombia
AmaWaterways' two new seven-night itineraries, Magic of Colombia and Wonders of Colombia begin sailing in Spring, 2024. Sailing between Cartagena and Barranquilla, both itineraries provide curated experiences and unforgettable excursions. Highlights of these two itineraries include:
· Uncovering the soul and spirit of the “Land of a Thousand Rhythms” at a special Carnaval celebration in Barranquilla featuring vibrant live performances reserved exclusively for AmaWaterways guests.
· Exploring the country’s most fascinating cities through historical walking tours in destinations including Mompox, a UNESCO Site preserved in colonial charm, where guests will be welcomed by an exclusive jazz performance.
· Birdwatching tours will captivate guests with more than 1,900 species of birds including the Cianeguo hummingbirds and the Chauna chavaria – only found in the Colombia region.
· Visiting Palenque, historically named the first “free city” in the Americas, where guests will enjoy dancing to world renowned musical styles such as cumbia and vallenato during a Drum Rhythms and Freedom Historical tour.
· Riding an authentic paola through the town of Calamar.
· Witnessing the natural beauty of the great Magdalena basin, which harbors many species of flora and fauna not found anywhere else on the planet.
Whether travelers arrive in Cartagena for the Wonders of Colombia itinerary or Barranquilla for the Magic of Colombia, you will be warmly welcomed by AmaWaterways’ extraordinary crew and a dedicated Cruise Manager. During your adventures, you will learn about Colombia’s fascinating culture; taste the exquisite, locally sourced cuisine inspired by the Colombian Caribbean coast at every meal; and enjoy nightly onboard entertainment.
Prices for seven-night cruises for U.S. residents start at USD $3,599 per person based on double occupancy, while Canadian resident fares start at CAD $4,841 per person based on double occupancy.
Ask us how to river cruise in Colombia beginning in 2024!
Pre- and Post-Cruise Land Packages – Medellín, Cartagena and Panama City
While in Colombia, travelers have the opportunity to make the most of their time and extend their journey with AmaWaterways’ optional pre-cruise land packages in Medellín and Cartagena, and post-cruise land package in Panama City, Panama.
In Medellín, guests can start their journey with a three-night stay in Colombia’s second largest city. Guests will enjoy indulging in the refined flavors of Medellín’s famous coffee and cuisine during a Coffee Region Tour and Tasting, as well as discover its unique heritage with friendly guides and residents from diverse backgrounds who live beyond the riverbanks. Combining innovation and history into one beautiful destination, travelers will witness the incredible transformation that the city has undergone while visiting neighborhoods such as Comuna 13.
AmaWaterways’ two-night, pre-cruise land package in the thriving city of Cartagena takes guests for a deep dive into the city’s royal history and heritage. Travelers will be inspired by the city that has withstood the test of time and the plundering of pirates through a walled city walking tour, and amazed by the excursions to the Gold Museum, Caribbean Naval Museum and San Felipe Castle.
Travelers seeking a post-cruise land package can venture to the beautiful isthmus where North and South America meet in Panama City, Panama. The add-on invites guests to extend their river cruise experience by three nights while discovering the lively atmosphere of Amador Causeway, the historic buildings of Panama La Vieja and the mesmerizing Panama Canal. Plus, travelers can delve into the tropical rainforest of the Chagres National Park, where they can delight in the breathtaking scenery of the jungle and learn more about the indigenous Emberá people.
*** Terms and Conditions apply; ask us for full details.
Images via AmaWaterways
Interested in River Cruises?Click Here
- Top 6 Wellness and Fitness Cruises You Should be Booking Now
- 5 Top Spring Flower Spectacles and Where to Find Them
- Why Travelers in the Know are Booking A Douro River Cruise in Portugal
- Video: Germany's Most Romantic Christmas Market
- World's Longest River Cruise Set for 2023
- Where's the Best Place to be on National Cake Day?